Award

Award
Social Media Award Winner

Friday, April 13, 2007

WRONG BAR

Um.... so I got the wrong bar last night. Having told 1/2 the financial services journo and PR industry that we were going to have the Quarterly Atherton-Girard Drinks Combo (see my Souk Medina entry for December) in Jack's Bar and Lounge last night, I promptly went and got the wrong darn bar.

In my defence, the sign was obscure, and the place was heaving, and so when I found a massive corner table by an open window, with two sofas and lots of chairs, I immediately DIVED onto it, shouting "Bagsie Bagsie I save all!" (Actually, I just sat down and put a couple of bags/coats surrepticiously around, but I wish I had shouted out "Bagsie Bagsie"... it would have been more fun...

So of course sitting there smug as a cat with cream, thinking: "I got a soooofa, I got a soooofa... where is everybody? uh?" and getting a little narked at people's lack of timeliness. Until Mark Atherton said: "You've been here before?"

"Yes", I said, looking round the room. "I came just a month ago for one of my best friend's 30th birthday" (Eloise Cheung, hair stylist extraordinaire. Check out Paris Fashion Week - her work). "But it did not have these weird ceiling vines. Or those lights. Or that doorway there - and it used to have a balcony and a set of decs for the resident DJ....." I said as the realisation suddenly dawned (there was no balcony): I was in the wrong bar. People had come, not seen, and conquered the tube home instead. GAH!

However, we got a good crowd, probably 30 or so, and the evening went on until the wee sma' hours in bar EV, which is also very good and serves the best fresh hummous. Some great conversations were had, friendships solidified, and there were no fights this time.

6 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Are you a financial services journalist? A lot of women seem to work in this field. I fear that like many other journalists they are prone to inaccuracy and hyperbole.

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

Inaccuracy, yes. Hyperbole? Sadly no. My life is too weird for me to need to spice it up by exaggerating.
Also, I don't need to beat my chest to pretend I am really buff as I am not a gorilla, and also it hurts.

Gorilla Bananas said...

And would squash your breasts for no good reason.

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

ha ha ha. I hope my dad does not read this blog entry. Now I'm going to visit you and pee all over your misty mountain gorilla boy!

Anonymous said...

THAT WAS AN INVITATION IF I EVER HEARD ONE. THOUGHT I GET MY 2 CENTS WORTH.

SPEAKING OF SQUASHED BREASTS THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED TO CELINE DION'S AS SHE BEATS HER CHEST ALL THE TIME WHEN SHE SINGS.

I AM TAKING EXTRA SUN TAN LOTION TO CUBA SO I WILL BE ABLE TOO ( ALTHOUGH WOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO APPLY SUNTAN LOTION ON THE LADIES OF THE TOPLESS BEACH.)

HAVE FUN. WE WILL!!!!!!!!!

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

Hey pop, have a great time in Canada's playground! Watch out for beached gorillas...